The Copinha is the most watched youth football tournament in Brazil and one of the most prestigious in the world.
1. The Copa São Paulo de Futebol Júnior (São Paulo Youth Football Cup) also known as Copa São Paulo de Juniores (São Paulo Youth Cup) or simply COPINHA (Little Cup), is a cup competition played by Brazilian under-20 football teams .
2. It was initially contested by under-21 teams until 2006.
3. It is organized by the Paulista Football Federation and is considered the most traditional and important under-20 football competition in Brazil.
4. The tournament takes place in Sao Paulo state and its final game is usually held on January 25, the anniversary of São Paulo City’s founding.
5. The Copinha is the most watched youth football tournament in Brazil and one of the most prestigious in the world.
6. It was founded in 1969 and is contested by 120 teams, with most of the teams coming from São Paulo state.
7. The teams are divided into 30 groups with each group consisting of 4 teams, 60 teams (the top two from each group) advance to the knockout stages.
8. Corinthians are the most successful club in the tournament’s history, with 10 titles.
9. Palmeiras are currently the defending champions.
10. The Copinha has proven to be a great platform to launch the careers of Brazil’s finest youngsters and showcase them to the world. Some of the players who have once featured at the Copinha are: Kaka, Neymar, Vinicius Junior, Gabriel Jesus, Lucas Moura, Heurelho Gomes, Marquinhos, Robinho, Malcom, Felipe Melo, Jo, Alexander Pato, Julio Cesar, Oscar, Maicon, Casemiro, Alex Telles, Fred, Rodrygo, Rafinho, Allison Becker, Fabinho and Endrick.